Screenshot of library.npsage.com

Project Alexandria

 

The project started as a Google Sheet, because at the time my "Significant Other" was doing this cool thing that happens when you own too many pieces of media, you start raking up lots of duplicates. At a certain point you can’t realistically keep track of what you do or do not own in your head, and when shopping at used book sales you can’t really go home and check really quick.

Ergo, duplicates.

Lots of duplicates.

While there are many a site that let you keep track of your own collection, I wanted something that she could setup how she wanted, something we both could access and modify, and I don’t trust anyone else’s code/website to up and vanish without warning. Thus, I landed on a shared Google Sheet. It took forever to add everything initially, but we got there.

Meanwhile over my own nerd kingdom, I was having a similar problem with my video game collection. Google Sheets worked fine with her ever expanding manga collection, but I very quickly found that it wasn’t working so great with my video games. With manga, it was a very simple question; “Do we own “Volume # of Title X?”. If we did not already own and it and wanted to, then we would buy it. If we already owned a copy and didn’t want to own two copies for some reason, then obviously we put it back on the shelf.

However, with my video games it was significantly more complicated. I obviously needed to know the title, but from there was the question of the platform it was owned on, then if disc or a digital copy. If it was digital was it “owned” (At least as much as one can own in the digital era) or was it something I got via subscription from “Games With Gold” or “PlayStation Plus”? Was the game some type limited or collector’s edition or perhaps an edition with included DLC or some other unique feature about it?

This was obviously quite a bit of information, and while I have nothing against Google Sheets, I wanted/needed something bit more powerful. Or at least something that I could run locally and mess around with. As such, I broke the cardinal rule of Microsoft Excel (Excel is Not a Database) and made a spreadsheet/database! Once I had a rough idea of everything, I thought I would want/need to know when shopping and how I wanted the information displayed, then just turned it into a website using some simple HTML and CSS because I'm very much a function>form type of guy.

As of writing that’s still where we’re at. Still working on adding everything. There’s just a lot of media to go through, and despite the fact it really is a major inconvenience to productivity I always eventually need to sleep at some point.